Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sixth day and still going strong!

Just finished my fifth day of the South Beach eating plan. I'm still doing very well. Thank you all for your encouragement, I feel it!! = )

I got alot of tips to help me stay on track, and writing about this journey was one of them.... (you can thank Ken for that! = )

I've learned some new ways to conquer the sweet cravings, although, they haven't really been that bad.... the first night or two, I was literally, dreaming about sweets... I think my mouth was chewing in my sleep, but hey, at least I didn't sleep walk into the kitchen... LOL!!!

But the cravings are more scarce now... I still NOTICE sweets nearby, but it's MUCH easier to JUST SAY NO!!!

Last night, I had an 'episode'.... but I conquered it with a tablespoon of peanut butter!!! Then I went to bed, that helped. = ) This morning, instead of the pancakes I thought would be nice... I'm having blackberry flavored tea which DOES have some natural blackberry flavoring in it.... but hey, it's WAY better than the pancakes, right!?! LOL!!!

MOST of all, I have to remember NOT to DWELL on the thoughts of something that enters my head, like the Fuji apples that my boss brought to the office yesterday, my favorite kind... yes, apples ARE a good snack, but for this initial period, I can't have ANYTHING with sugar AT ALL.... so I quickly forced myself to turn my thoughts to other things, work, weekend plans anything else but those apples.

A wonderful friend wrote me about the dangers of becoming, and challenges of being, diabetic. My dad was diabetic, so I'm right in line to becoming diabetic if I'm not careful.... I'm really trying not to. And although my dr. says ALL my numbers are really good right now, (he checked everything about two weeks ago... sugar, cholesterol, iron, etc.)..... I know my good luck isn't going to last forever if I keep eating the things I do and NOT exercising the way I should.

So I'm pretty determined to stop eating the junk food, there's no reason a woman my age should be eating all that stuff anyway, LOL!! No kidding, sometimes, I eat like a five year old would. LOL!! My meals are normally decent, healthful and well balanced, but it's the snacking on sugar junkfood that I have a problem with... So this was my answer.... an eating plan that absolutely BANS ALL sugar from my diet for a couple of weeks until I kick the sugar craving.... my plan is to STICK to the eating plan forever, and enjoying (sparingly) only good-for-me carbs after this initial two week period. If I start getting weak again, I'll just jump back on the first phase of the plan every once in awhile. I'm truly hoping this is something I can LIVE with. I really HAVE to make it work... otherwise I'm doomed.

Now, to set my mind on getting to the gym!! LOL!!!

Joann~

11 comments:

  1. Excellent. We all have our weaknesses, and the first step is recognition. Second is action and making that action habit. I am working on that myself. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be handling all of this extremely well. I think you are being "good," but also realistic. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joann I think you are doing wonderfully well ~ It is not easy giving up on junk food or sweets but you seem to be coping very well ~ good luck I know you are determined to follow your diet ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those sweets are my downfall too. With the holidays it is going to be a challenge for you but just think about all the compliments you'll be getting as the weight comes off. You are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JoAnn! Congratulations! When I was pregnant with my youngest, I had gestation diabetes--I couldn't eat any sugar either, and I had to be on a special diet--which was good because I only gained 19 pounds during my whole pregnancy. When I had cravings, I found some sugarless candy at the drug store--like carmel chews--they helped. :) I wish you much success!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea that you are still going strong, Joann! It really is a very good healthy eating plan too! And unfortunately as we get older, we have to eat less and limit the sugar, salt, etc so its good you are getting a handle on it! Maybe set up that you'll go to the gym one day a week, then increase it to two days, etc. I know the only way I make it there is by going first thing in the morning, otherwise I have lots of reasons not going later in the day, LOL :) But I bet you'll get back into the swing of it soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you're on top of it! Good going!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, JoAnn! It's really surprising how quick we get to the point of not missing sugar at all. I substituted fruits such as grapes for sugar, and surprising to me at the time, it only took me about 3 days to not miss the sweets. I know it's not part of your plan, but the point is how easily we can come off of it and how little time it takes.

    Stay with it! You will feel so much better!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you luck with the south beach diet. It's cruel and harsh. I couldn't stick to it.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following you now. Good luck with the diet thing. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats lady! You will find soon enough you aren't missing the sweets nearly so much and it will be easier & easier. Think of how good you will feel when you are just on maintenance and you can "cheat" every once in a while. It's well worth it, if for nothing else for your good health.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!