Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Short work week ahead

Well, my long weekend is over, but I won't be glum, I only have a 3-day work week ahead, so I'm happy.

I did NOT get the things done that I'd hoped this weekend, but it's ok, it'll all get done eventually.

I got a little online Christmas shopping done, and I'm hoping to be ALL done with that before Thanksgiving weekend, so I can go away and relax, guilt-free!! LOL!! I'm heading to a local mountain cabin with some girlfriends for that weekend... Chris will be on his own!! He never minds staying home alone, though!! What 18 year old boy would, right??!?! LOL!!

Yesterday, on the way to my mom's house, I saw an elderly man walking across a busy intersection. He was having trouble getting through the long crosswalks in a hurry for traffic, so I pulled over and met him once he got to the corner, and asked him if he wanted a ride... he was carrying about 4 grocery bags, and I figured he wasn't near any houses, so he probably still had a ways to walk (he was actually just walking to the bus stop).

He accepted the ride, he said that he would have had to take two buses to get home if I hadn't come along, and he thought it would be a great surprise for his wife that he'd be home so early, and get to see her before she left for work. What a sweet man!! We talked on the way to his house, which really wasn't too far in a car, and he told me that he was 81, and that his wife was a few years older than him, but she still worked!!!

When we got to his house, he wanted me to come in and meet his wife. What an amazing woman!! She was smartly dressed for work, honestly, the lady looked beautiful. She was a bit frail, but she dressed herself in a beautiful gray tweed pair of pants, a soft white blouse, and even a gray silk scarf to match!!! She had on earrings, just a little make-up, and her hair was done up... MAN, I want to look like HER when I'm her age!!!

Apparently, their sons live far enough away to not be able to help them get groceries and such... so we exchanged phone numbers and I told them that I'd be in touch again. It's such a good feeling to be able to help someone... I'm glad that I was lead to them.

Have a wonderful week, everyone!!

Joann